Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Things I have forgotten....

You would think having already been pregnant I'd remember all the things I should and shouldn't be doing during pregnancy but given my exhaustion I have decided to do some research. Here are some things to avoid during pregnancy:

You Should Avoid Caffeine


Caffeine taken during pregnancy is thought to increase the probability of a child contracting diabetes. I know they say you can do a cup a day, but I take decaf and only on rare occassations where Max has kept me up at night do I have an acutal cup of coffee.

You Should Avoid Hot Dogs

Hot dogs have been implicated in several studies. (Note: It has also been found that children under the age of five who eat more than 1 hot dog a week may have an increased risk of cancer)

Tick bites
open you to the risk of lyme disease, which can be deadly to your developing baby.

You Should Avoid Fish


This warning comes from the November 27 issue of Time Magazine (page 31). Fish concentrate methylmercury, which is known to affect the developing child's brain.

You Should Not Use a Sauna, Hot Tub or Take Long Hot Baths


Hot tubs and hot baths have a tendency to raise your body temperature and therefore are to be avoided. See the previous item for details.

You Should Avoid Cleaning Cat Litter Boxes. You Should Avoid Uncooked Meat.

Both cat litter and undercooked meat present the risk of toxoplasmosis, which causes birth defects. See this article and this article for details.

Raw Meat:
Uncooked seafood and rare or undercooked beef or poultry should be avoided because of the risk of contamination with coliform bacteria, toxoplasmosis, and salmonella.

Raw Eggs: Raw eggs or any foods that contain raw eggs should be avoided because of the potential exposure to salmonella. Some homemade Caesar dressings, mayonnaise, homemade ice cream or custards, and Hollandaise sauces may be made with raw eggs.


Soft Cheeses:
Imported soft cheeses may contain bacteria called Listeria, which can cause miscarriage. Listeria has the ability to cross the placenta and may infect the baby leading to infection or blood poisoning, which can be life-threatening. You would need to avoid soft cheeses such as: Brie, Camembert, Roquefort, Feta, Gorgonzola and Mexican style cheeses that include queso blanco and queso fresco, unless they clearly state that they are made from pasteurized milk. All soft non-imported cheeses made with pasteurized milk are safe to eat.

There are a ton more, however these are the ones that pertain to me. I guess i need to cut out hot dogs which I have been eating. Otherwise I think I'm doing pretty well :)

Most importantly: i have been taking my Prenatals daily!

No comments:

Post a Comment